Earlier this week, when Joe Sakic severely injured his hand in a snowblower accident, it may have come as a shock to many.
But to true historians of the game, it was just another in the long list of Hockey Hall of Famers who have injured themselves in some way thanks to some common and avoidable household injuries.
It all started with Dit Clapper, who played for the Boston Bruins for over 20 years. But while his play on the ice is legendary, it pales in comparison to his forgetfulness. On Nov. 22, 1932, Clapper scored four goals against the Deroit Red Wings, and returned home to find that he had left the stove on.
Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion was, of course, the famed inventor of the slap shot and the first truly high-scoring defenseman. He may have been the king of the loading up his point shot, but he was not the king of home safety, as he had a penchant for overloading the power strips all around his Montreal home.
But he wasn’t the only Canadiens legend to practice unsafe behavior in the home. Soon after the 1959-60 season, Maurice “Rocket” Richard began renovating his home in Ahuntsic, but failed to have anyone secure the ladder as he tore down siding. The results were disastrous and led to his retirement.
However, it isn’t just players that are succeptible to the dangers of severe injury thanks to home carelessness. In his coaching days, Ted Lindsay was helping his old friend Guy LaFleur move into a new home when he failed to lift with his knees and threw his back out.
Hopefully now with this Sakic injury, future NHL megastars will be more careful around their homes. You can never be too sa…